Think nothing strange happened yesterday? Think again. Ann Coulter released a new book, and of course it included some over-the-top nonsense bashing the 9/11 widows as being "self-obsessed" and "reveling in their status as celebrities"…
Ann Coulter is known for saying outrageous things, such as "Sen. Joe McCarthy was an American hero" and we should conquer all of the Islamic countries in the Middle East and make the people "convert to Christianity"… but this takes the cake:
"These self-obsessed women seem genuinely unaware that 9-11 was an attack on our nation and acted… as if the terrorist attack only happened to them. They believe the entire country was required to marinate in their exquisite personal agony. Apparently, denouncing Bush was a part of the closure process…
"These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by griefpaparazzis. I have never seen people enjoying their husband's death so much."
That is low, even for Ann Coulter.
Of course, the objective of all this is to allow her to take over the headlines for a week or two, a pattern that she has established with her other books, by starting out with something shocking enough to outrage a lot of people. Oddly enough, she actually has a fan base, of people who really believe that the statements she makes are logical and credible. I used to think most of what she said was so ridiculous that it was funny, but it doesn't take much for her to start spewing some truly vile things:
- "Liberals become indignant when you question their patriotism, but simultaneously work overtime to give terrorists a cushion for the next attack and laugh at dumb Americans who love their country and hate the enemy."
- "Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do. They don't have the energy. If they had that much energy, they'd have indoor plumbing by now."
- "My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is that he did not go to the New York Times Building."
- "The problem with women voting… is that.. women have no capacity to understand how money is earned. They have a lot of ideas on how to spend it…"
- "Liberals love America like OJ loved Nicole."
It is really scary that there are people out there who can't see through Ann Coulter's shock tactics. I find it hard to believe that she actually believes the things that she writes. No one could be that coldhearted, all in the name of being "conservative". Her statements always tend to be erratic, as if she talks just to hear herself speak. And whenever she is asked to back something up with fact or logic, she starts in on the tired tactic of "liberal bashing", even if she is talking to a fellow conservative. She tends to come across as being less than sane.
This is a woman who stops short of saying that Hitler was a hero. Maybe one day she'll write a book about that.